2022-02-25

intimacy -3


How does the word HELPER* work with GOD?



God, YOU'RE my helper*, during my house-work,

with insulation, cladding, as a mate.

With flashing, you've been helping me not shirk,

and sit and think each piece out, then create!


I feel your smile, when I commit and act,

the doing, with some thoughtfulness behind

it, noticing that little things impact

the whole, and must be given their good time.


Each little tiny thing, if overlooked,

can skew the lot, and grind it to a halt.

I have to honour little ones. I'm hooked

with your creative thoughtfulness. It's salt.


Instead of that insulting way of life

that treats all as a power-play to gain,

as though that's why one has a pet, or wife.

But you rejoice to be my help in pain,


and need of ev'ry sort. That's when love shows.

With nothing in it for the lover 'cept

to mirror more the love that really knows,

and not just intellectu'ly. It's wept


with those who let it share their life as friends.

It shares itself, and listens, for it's kept

them in it's heart. Who knows if  friendship ends?

I'm tasting from you all this good, except


that I'm so immature in that love.

I need to learn from someone how it works.

If you don't mind, I'd like for your sweet dove

to land and enter in, and then just lurk.



*   The same Hebrew word for "helper" (Ezer,  pronounced “ay-zer.”) is used in Genesis to say that God made Eve to be a helper fitting for Adam, and in the Psalms that celebrate God as a helper in times of trouble. An interesting discussion and list of all it's occurrences in the O.T. in this blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...