2018-09-04

play my part - don't try to do it all..


Well play my part (don't try to do it all),
and be aware that my part is so small.
And sit in tension, telling what I see
in love, don't mention things to bolster me.

Oh God, you're good to let us work with you
in such ways should we learn to be quite true.
God please help me to kill bravado off,
as it competes to “play the Sydney toff”*.

So, measured speech, that tells it like it is.
God, not to preach my views, but aid the biz-
nus of a lis'ning ear (to all that's truth),
and telling tales of others in their youth-

full strength, where they contributed to me
and others, praying often un-word-ly.
Oh God, in me there's an actor ‘who “blows”’*
himself up freely, yet he hardly knows

his own faults, please save me from all my sin's.
I puff and wheeze, and tell my bit to win.
So, here I go, my God, to learn to ask.
I'm still so slow to tackle such a task.

It's HE who gives me hope to follow on.
He freely lives, with rope to hang upon.
And banks it all on God's own faithfulness,
who's in what's small, yet big enough to bless.

You work in both dimensions all the time.
You keep your troth - & call me to keep mine.
Yet screw those corporations who do that.
For you employ a justice that is “flat”°.



*  from “The Man from Ironbark” by Banjo Paterson.
°  e.g. “flat” authority structures are “figures” of a flat justice system, where people choose the way they want to be judged, simply by choosing the way, and with the style and methods, they use to judge others. e.g. Jesus’ stories… “But Abraham said, ‘Remember, my son, that in your lifetime you were given all the good things, while Lazarus got all the bad things. But now he is enjoying himself here, while you are in pain. Luke 16:25‭, and “He also said to them, “Pay attention to what you hear! The same rules you use to judge others will be used by God to judge you—but with even greater severity.” Mark 4:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...