2016-07-05

The biblical background to Jesus's "Woe to you... Pharisees, Teachers of the Law, .. (the shepherds of God's people)", and Peter's comments to the Overseers in Jesus's way of doing Government.

The word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to you shepherds of Israel who only take care of yourselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you do not take care of the flock. You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd, and when they were scattered they became food for all the wild animals. My sheep wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill. They were scattered over the whole earth, and no one searched or looked for them.  “ ‘For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord . I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.        Ezekiel 34:1‭-‬6‭, ‬11‭, ‬15‭-‬16 NIV http://bible.com/111/ezk.34.1-16.NIV 

The word of Yahweh
came to me & said
you must prophesy
against a shepherd.

You, “Son of Adam",
must warn them of woes
(who take care of 'em-
-selves, & then repose!)

"Should not my shepherds
take care of my flocks?
But, you eat the curds,
and then knit your socks

and your cardigans,
from my sheep's fine wool,
and feast on prime-lambs,
until you are full.

But you take care of
naught but your "precious".
You're not aware of
the flock. You're specious;

as shepherds- you're not!
No strengthening the weak,
or cutting out rot,
no healing the sick,

binding the injured.
You're voices don't call,
except they've wing-ed,
to bicker, and stall.

You don't bring back strays,
or search for the lost,
to bring them in ways
quite gentle. You bossed!

You ruled them harshly
and brutally too.
And not impartially
o-verse-e-ing, you

caused them to scatter
without a shepherd,
they didn't matter
except as the food

for wild animals.
My sheep wandered all
over the mountains
and every high hill.

Scattered over all
the whole earth, and no
one searched or looked for
them. So, I will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...