2022-07-15

when men started to call on the LORD (YHWH)




You called on them. Invited them to join

you, on your walk throughout your world, well parts

of it that would not hurt their feet or groin,

maybe the parts you'd gardened - for a start.


Pretending they weren't there, they went and hid.

The thought to "call on you", ran off when shame

came in, and so they covered (as eye-lids

stop us from seeing; this helps "what's-a-name"). 


Though some attempted to; to call on you,

for Cain & Abel both gave it a go,

at other times it says they tried to do

this, maybe speaking as one in the  know,


a spoken spell, an incantator's wheeze, 

so you, as genie, are on tap for them,

to give them help, or pow'r to live with ease -

they got your name right, now they've "touched your hem".


No father in a fam-i-ly does this,

unless he's never touched on love himself.

He doesn't claim a name and make it his.

His one year old who calls him "Dod", 's'is wealth!


The question is did he call on 'is dad?

And will 'is father do the best he can?

- He'll ask for help, to help grow up his lad,

and then help him grow up, to be a  man!


I ask myself the question "Do I call 

on - My god,", or "- the god whose one I am?" 

The center, and the sent-er (push &  pull)

is me? or is "the God who's ONE, I AM".?




Seth also had a son, and he named him Enosh. At that time people began to call on the name of the LORD. Gen. 4:26 NIVUK


From there he went on towards the hills east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the LORD. Gen. 12:8 NIVUK


and where he had first built an altar. There Abram called on the name of the LORD. Gen. 13:4 NIVUK


Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called on the name of the LORD, the Eternal God. Gen. 21:33 NIVUK


Then Samuel called on the Lord, and that same day the Lord sent thunder and rain. So all the people stood in awe of the LORD and of Samuel. 1 Samuel 12:18 NIVUK


I call to the LORD, and he saves me from my enemies. Praise the LORD! 2 Samuel 22:4 GNBDC


Who is this lord that you call on? 

"Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the LORD. The god who answers by fire – he is God.’ Then all the people said, ‘What you say is good.’ 1 Kings 18:24 NIVUK


Then the prophet Isaiah called on the LORD, and the LORD made the shadow go back the ten steps it had gone down on the stairway of Ahaz. 2 Kings 20:11 NIVUK


David built an altar to the LORD there and sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. He called on the LORD, and the LORD answered him with fire from heaven on the altar of burnt offering. 1 Chron. 21:26 NIVUK


The captain went to him and said, ‘How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us so that we will not perish.’ Jonah 1:6 NIVUK


Do all these evildoers know nothing? They devour my people as though eating bread; they never call on the LORD. Psalm 14:4 NIVUK


I call to the LORD, and he saves me from my enemies. Praise the LORD! Psalms 18:3 GNBDC


Though the words "call on.." aren't used, when you read these 2 or 3 prayer/songs right through, in the light of the other references which do use these words, they stand out to me as examples of an in-house, heart to heart "calling on God"!

  • Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the LORD, ‘You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.’ You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:1‭-‬2‭, ‬11 NIVUK

  • "In you, LORD my God, I put my trust. … Deliver Israel, O God, from all their troubles!" Psalm 25:1‭, ‬22 NIVUK


  • Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. Psalm 55:22 NIVUK 


and call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honour me.’

Psalm 50:15 NIVUK


Then I called on the name of the LORD: ‘LORD, save me!’ Psalm 116:4 NIVUK


I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD. … I will sacrifice a thank-offering to you and call on the name of the LORD. I will fulfil my vows to the LORD in LORDthe presence of all his people, .. Psalm 116:13‭, ‬17‭-‬18 NIVUK


The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalm 145:18 NIVUK


Isaiah's oracle speaks of two models those who call on him "in truth", and those who may yet call on him, but  "not in truth".

"Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear. For your hands are stained with blood, your fingers with guilt. Your lips have spoken falsely, and your tongue mutters wicked things. … ‘The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins,’ declares the LORD. ‘As for me, this is my covenant with them,’ says the LORD. ‘My Spirit, who is on you, will not depart from you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will always be on your lips, on the lips of your children and on the lips of their descendants – from this time on and for ever,’ says the LORD. Isaiah 59:1‭-‬3‭, ‬20‭-‬21 NIVUK


Will they find delight in the Almighty? Will they call on God at all times? Job 27:10 NIVUK


you who call yourselves citizens of the holy city and claim to rely on the God of Israel – the Lord Almighty is his name: Isaiah 48:2 NIVUK


Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Isaiah 55:6 NIVUK


I have posted watchmen on your walls, Jerusalem; they will never be silent day or night. You who call on the LORD, give yourselves no rest, .. Isaiah 62:6 NIVUK


Pour out your wrath on the nations that do not acknowledge you, on the peoples who do not call on your name. For they have devoured Jacob; they have devoured him completely and destroyed his homeland. Jer. 10:25 NIVUK


And everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved; for on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance, as the LORD has said, even among the survivors whom the LORD calls. Joel 2:32 NIVUK


‘Then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that all of them may call on the name of the LORD and serve him shoulder to shoulder. Zephaniah 3:9 NIVUK


This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, “They are my people,” and they will say, “The LORD is our God.” ’ Zech. 13:9 NIVUK


And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Acts 2:21 NIVUK


For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile – the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, ‘Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’ How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone proclaiming to them? Romans 10:12-14 NIVUK


To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ – their Lord and ours: 1 Cor. 1:2 NIVUK


Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 2 Tim. 2:22 NIVUK




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...