2019-03-18

is sharing air, a bit like prayer?

A little while ago I said to God
“I understand not how prayer works at all”,
though minutes later, couldn't see the knot
that seemed before to bother this small Paul.

So here I'll try to put it, so to say
something like the problem that I felt:
“Prayer’s mechanisms that “work” here today
don't always seem to “work”, where I have dwelt.”

So now I see my problem hinges on
the meaning of that word “work” up above,
espec'ly when seen in that paradigm
of “working mechanisms”, not of “love”.

It seems when some folk say “Prayer changes things”
a part of me is hooked to focus on
the last word in that sentence, which then brings
my house of cards a crashing before long.

But if I think about it diff'rently,
and mean by prayer just “hanging out” with God,
or even “hanging in” there, frequently,
and ope'ning up about where “we” have trod,

and what has happened to me in his world,
and start to get to know responses made
by him, and posit where they've come from curled
within his nature, as within the shade

an animal that's wild, & quite untamed
might still be friendly, and begin to see
my motives, if I'm not one to have mamed
and used one like it - what I want to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...