2018-08-24

who knows you..


O Lord , you have examined and known me.  
You know when I sit down and when I rise;
you see my thoughts before they even be
quite clear to me, and yet you don't despise!

You know my ins and outs and lying down,
my paths and places, where I sleep at night,
and all of my responses, smiles and frowns.
Before a word is said, you know it right.

You're all around, before, behind, beside,
more even than a cloud when I'm in fog.
You lay your hand upon me, and confide.
More present with me than a faithful dog.

Your knowledge of me is too wonderful -
to think that I am known like that, by you!
Too much to think of. Sounds like it's just bull…,
I can't believe that half of it is true!

And yet, it's when I stop and realise,
I know that I can't go away from you.
Your spirit, and your presence, fills the skies
which mark the limits of what you can do.

Your loving hand will lead and hold me fast.
No place too big or small, or high or low,
or light or dark, or hidden, first or last,
can make a separation, or bestow

it's ignorance on you. You're in the know.
For it was you who formed my inward parts;
and journeyed with me, egg to embryo,
then foetus, and helped me to learn my “smarts”.

It's like you're ON my side, not just at it!
What other option’s open, but respond
with thankfulness and praise, I cannot sit
and take for granted, to whom I've  belonged.

Your making is so skillful, what a blast!
Your works are full of wonder too, as well.
Your intricate involvement, in my past,
and future plans to save all yours from “hell” -

(the rubbish dump of waste and fire and worm
that helps to turn to compost what will not
learn from the God of gods, what will not turn,
acknowledging where all good things we've got

have come from). God, your thoughts to me weigh much.
How vast the sum of them!  Like Abraham's
descendants. You still want to keep in touch!
And at the end — I'm with you, Yes I AM.

What goes the other way from you, against
your purposes, then I'll be against them!
If they hate you, I hate those kinds of men,
instead of keeping room for them as friends.

Examine me, O God, and know my heart;
and test and know my thoughts. See if there is
a wicked way in me, lead me from start
along that everlasting way - Jesus!




After Psalm 139:1‭-‬24 NRSV



1 comment:

Thanks for adding to the conversation...