(Slow & curious)
The week that I was “gone” to Brisbane town,
to say “Goodbye” to my wife’s mother there,
who passed from this life here on Earth that’s down
below the metaphorical we shared.
We used the trip to see fam. - on the way.
Da stay with some, and to recall some tales,
to clean up rooms in house we used to stay
in with her. So my memory “inhales”.
I thank her for her mothering of my
own wife, who is the best gift I've received,
since I was given what is called my “life”.
We hadn’t always quite seen or believed
the same about the most important things,
yet she was growing kinder - her last days
she got to be more grateful. Each one brings
us goodness wrapped in very diff’rent ways.
And I want to grow as that lady did,
to notice goodness, and express in words
somehow appreciation that gets hid
unless we speak it - so some folk 'll have heard
something that helps them look through, to its birth,
and see the ways that mediators worked
to make more goodness come to live on Earth.
This is a job I'll do, and not have shirked!
And then there was the time with Dad & Mum,
(li’ll brother, as we travelled) to share lunch.
A mate surviving cancer, under some …
some pressure still, but rising from that punch.
Some stories that we heard as we drove on,
have also brought us ways to live more life.
I choose to hear from folk before they’re gone.
To let them tell me their own fun and strife.
And some-times friends can grow where we’d not dream,
and enemies can seem to grow from friends.
At times we know they’ve changed, others just seem
so diff’rent ev’ry time… ’till journey ends.
And now I’m back at school in New South Wales,
in Orange, where I teach the Fearnley class
some subjects till Ms. Huggett’s back. We trail
sometimes, but then at others we “kick ass”.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for adding to the conversation...