2024-02-03

Hugar!



When the water in the skin was gone, she cast the child under one of the bushes. Then she went and sat down opposite him a good way off, about the distance of a bowshot, for she said, “Do not let me look on the death of the child.” And as she sat opposite him, she lifted up her voice and wept. And God heard the voice of the boy, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What troubles you, Hagar? Do not be afraid, for God has heard the voice of the boy where he is. Come, lift up the boy and hold him fast with your hand, for I will make a great nation of him.” Then God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water. She went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink. ‭‭Genesis‬ ‭21‬:‭15‬-‭19‬ ‭NRSVUE‬‬

Interesting that it was when Hagar sat opposite the boy, and lifted up her voice & wept, … that God heard the voice of the boy… then the Angel of the Lord: asks Hagar… & calms her…  telling her what not to do,  & tells her what to do to help,.. opens her eyes to see a (hidden?) source of life, …and gives her grace (power/ strength/ motivation/ capacity) to go on and to make this mothering work… 




Please give me what I need to serve those who 

you’ve put me with. Things seem close to the end.

The water’s all run out of bottle too,

I have tucked in my loved one, who was friend.


I want to go away, to not see death,

I now lift up my voice to you in pain

and weep these words into this verse with breath

that’s laboured, and yet numb. Here I remain.


I know you hear me, know my numbness too.

You even help me to express with verse

my pain at death of human “being” who 

can’t speak themselves, or be seen, they’re dispersed


between two individu’ls who were both

needful, & essential to the whole.

As hemispheres of brain connect in trōth

and make up one, contribute to one soul,


and body it inhabits, by design

(for humans are not naked spirits in

the heavens, but are made to rule in time

upon the Earth. Embodied is no sin!).


“What troubles you, young Paul, you embryo?

For God has heard the cries & missing pain,

of that which seems so numb that it might go

to bed and hope to not wake up again.”


I hear your call to Come, be not afraid,

to lift this one and hold them close with hand,

to stay near, do what’s needed with your aid,

and use what you give me to understand.



My brothers and sisters, whenever you face various trials, consider it all joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance complete its work, so that you may be complete and whole, lacking in nothing. If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you. But ask in faith, never doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.” ‭‭James‬ ‭1‬:‭2‬-‭6‬ ‭NRSVUE‬‬


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...