2020-01-23

his little brother, our big..


So let the brother who is lowly boast 
in being raised up, in a diff'rent way..
a way of life that's true and is the most
most excellent, upon this earth today!

And too, the rich, when they are then brought low, 
because the riches of this world are not
the realest thing, or what shows that we know
reality, or that we've really got

the stuff it takes to come out like a gem,
or else refin'd gold, with the dross burnt out.
This tem-por-ar-y life, is like a stem..
a flower picked, to pretty things no doubt.

But in a vase ain't where it's life will shoot
up and take root, and flourish and bear fruit!
It's more a sign that gardens are a hoot,
and hopefully a beckon to a beaut

quiet eve-ning wander, with some goodly friends
within a garden not too far away.
And when we aren't defined by means and ends
of this world (& its zombie ways) today,

we are that pithy proverb*, or psalm-one
who shows the kind of flourishing that's meant
-  when God's word on a matter 's heard, &  done,
& meditated on before it's spent.

While this world and it's busy-ness is seen
as all there is, we miss this very best.
And even this ol' world loses its gleam.
So this is our big job, and our big rest!




*  pithy proverb: "This temporary life is like a stem.." or else…
  • "Life (presently) is like a box of chocolates." (It's got a "use by" date.), or 
  • "One pretends to be rich but is poor. Another pretends to be poor but is quite rich." Proverbs 13:7 TPT
  • "The rich and the poor have one thing in common: the Lord God created each one."  Proverbs 22:2 TPT
  • It’s better to be meek and lowly and live among the poor than to live high and mighty among the rich and famous. Proverbs 16:19 TPT
  • “Happy are those who claim nothing (the meek), for the whole earth will belong to them! Matthew 5:5 NTIME (J.B. Phillips) text in italics above in brackets, added by me.
  • The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like a flower of the field; Psalms 103:15 NIVUK
  • A voice says, ‘Cry out.’ And I said, ‘What shall I cry?’ ‘All people are like grass, and all their faithfulness is like the flowers of the field. Isaiah 40:6 NIVUK
  • ‘Two things I ask of you, Lord ; do not refuse me before I die:  keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.  Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, “Who is the Lord ?” Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonour the name of my God. Proverbs 30:7‭-‬9 NIVUK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...