2016-05-18

Lessons from the last week or two...


Isa 50:4-8a The Sovereign Lord has given me a disciplined (discipled) tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen as a disciple.  The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away.  I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting.  Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame.  He who vindicates me is near. … Isaiah 50:4‭-‬8a (combining insight from NIV & Henri Bloché)  http://bible.com/111/isa.50.4-8.NIV

Mark 7:30-35 Jesus then left the neighborhood of Tyre and went on through Sidon to Lake Galilee, going by way of the territory of the Ten Towns. Some people brought him a man who was deaf and could hardly speak, and they begged Jesus to place his hands on him. So Jesus took him off alone, away from the crowd, put his fingers in the man's ears, spat, and touched the man's tongue. Then Jesus looked up to heaven, gave a deep groan, and said to the man, “Ephphatha,” which means, “Open up!”  At once the man was able to hear, his speech impediment was removed, and he began to talk without any trouble. Then Jesus ordered the people not to speak of it to anyone; but the more he ordered them not to, the more they told it. And all who heard were completely amazed. “How well he does everything!” they exclaimed. “He even causes the deaf to hear and the dumb to speak!”
Mark 7:31‭-‬37 GNTD  http://bible.com/69/mrk.7.31-37.GNTD


A brother’s fortnight of learning to be more open with God, that has led to being broken, but blessed.


God, I hear from this brother
that you have been at work:
glad that his Father/ mother
listen and then don't shirk.

You his (Mother and) Father
have good dreams for him too,
and as a hen will gather
it chicks under wings. You

like that man, Son of Adam,
who like a little kid
would scurry to his dad ‘n
copy  everything he did,

and look for his approval
and know He would be pleased;
his first job was removal
of ignorance (he “sneezed”

his eyes to Heaven, groaning,
his open heart believed
and trusted God's atoning
life to be enough, he breathed

openly, and then said it
“Ephatha” (which was code
for)  - “Open up!” We’ve read it
fast - what if it was slowed

down? - and then we “heard” the word
(and all Creation too!)?
Ears and tongues and (quite absurd)
neural pathways laid new(!)

and a heart that “opened up”
to God's message to it;
take it in (and not pass up),
reflect, not eschew, it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...