2021-07-17

learning to listen


Oh God, what should I now be asking for

this one within your world I know you love?

Please help me love and listen to you more. 

I do know that you said, though you're above


all of us here, we are your sheep, our Lord,

and as your sheep we still would know your voice. 

(Though most sheep can't get  language, in accord 

with Nature, for it's really not their choice,


but more the hardware of their brain and soul)

Still I assume their shepherd's voice might mean

a message so to jostle or enfold,

to keep them safe, or hurry to a stream. 


So all my hurried mind-work so to win,

to not be left behind, to do more jobs,

to prove I'm worth more than a sheep has been,

might sometimes frazzle, turn smooth into blobs.


I want to listen more, and quicker too.

Please teach me how to do this,  Most High God.

To learn to pray, and fast, as you would do.

To eat food gratefully, and sometimes not. 


So here I am, I'll listen up to you. 

I'll sit quite still, and follow up that plan*

a child of yours spelt out, of what to do,

and trust you for that other child again.


And it is true, I am your child in truth,

and want to be a true man like that One

you sent to Earth before I was a youth,

the one you said to listen to. Your Son.



Jim Harrison's original article, and suggested plan to get going & my subsequently somewhat edited version.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...