2021-05-09

Following Messiah*

How do I tell Jesus' stories to people I meet this week?


Following Jesus's method, not just his words!

  • Look up! - to the mountains, and to the heavens. Where will my help come from? 
  • Look out! -at God's world around me. Notice what happens, & what is happening.
  • Look at them, the people God has sent me to, and sent to me. And look into their eyes, with his love.
  • Expect God to give me a story from this world of his, for this child of his, to be his gift for them, and 
  • Tell it to them, then, & there!




How do I tell the stories of Jesus 

to people whom I meet today, this week?

I tried to learn the stories that seize us,

that he told, or about him. Give a peek


of these, to folk I meet with, in this place -

the other side of Earth, and some time hence.

I saw tonight, that those stories should grace

the ears of those who ask for what things meant - 


so, they have caught a bit, and ask for more. 

Those stories from the gospels are for me.

Reposit'ries, and birthright, they're my store.

I need to follow him more, now I see.


And as he told his stories, to those folk,

by using stuff from ev'ry-day life then*,

evangelists who followed him, too spoke

in stories, of that life lived among men.


So when I follow, not just words, but ways;

I will look up, as Jesus did, himself.

I will look out upon this world, this space,

and get to know it well, to speak with health.


Then I'll look in their eyes, to let the love

of God himself - look through mine into theirs,

expecting God to give me from above,

a story for his children. He who shares.


He is the one I'll follow. So I'll tell

what stories he gives to me for their sake,

both then and there. The stories will do well

what Jesus knew they could - bring folk awake!




*  Regarding Jesus' teaching to the crowds, Mark (ch 4, & similarly Matthew - in chapter 13) writes for us:

The crowd that gathered round him was so large that he got into a boat and sat in it out on the lake, while all the people were along the shore at the water’s edge. 2 He taught them many things by parables, and in his teaching said: "Listen! …"” (Mark 4: 1f) Mark follows this with about 5 of Jesus’ parables (about events and happenings in everyday life around them) which finish with commands, or encouragements to listen, like: .‘Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear. (v9,26-26)’ then Mark makes this statement: “With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand.  He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.” (Mark 4:33f



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...