2017-01-05

Can I do anything?

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. 
Philippians 4:13. (Paul M. Version)

I agree with both Pauls (the apostle, & McLaughlan). But there is something (broken?) in me that takes a lovely statement like that, and twists it (esp. the "I can do all things/anything..") for, what it calls "My (or even God's) purposes", but is really only the purpose of a stinking dead me. My antidote is firstly, to reframe the statement in it's original context, e.g. 

I think Paul was probably
getting at, or trying to
communicate in words the
things they'd seen in life & truth:

already Philippians
had seen him (and Silas) jailed
and the jailer heard the songs,
saw that Christ's life hadn't failed.

Maybe Paul meant something like
" I can handle any things
(that God allows to his tyke)
that come my way, that life brings;
since he himself is my "bike",

he is my "car", and my "truck"
my gate, my path, and my door,
he is my way, and my luck,
and my truth, my life, what's more

he is my strength, that's God's Christ,
God's anointed here on Earth,
showed how to be sacrificed
to our God, for what it's worth.

And we find Christ says it's good,
beautiful, or else much more,
and speaks as if that's what should
be done, and not just ignored.

Paul here stretches, runs a race,
giving all, to get the prize,
till he stands and sees His face,
and looks straight into His eyes!

2 comments:

  1. Amen!

    Like Curdie's hands of power
    The magic only works when he uses it for good.
    Otherwise the "prize" is a hundred harvests
    of self deception and missed opportunity.

    Oh that my hands would be prized from His prize
    And the dark in my eye brighten with His surprise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the conversation...