2024-03-08

..not just "he said.."..



(with a rolling "h") heséd*



Oh God, I'd hardly know of love that's true

except I've had a taste of it myself;

both ways, from you my Father to me through

both friends & family here on Earth. No stealth-


-y project. Pretty much full-on since birth-

day parties, kisses, hugs, and holding hands

show off, exalt, and celebrate with mirth,

the love of life which knows & understands.


And though I'm often late, not organized,

and immature, and baby-ish a lot,

and find I do, what I've often despised;

quite inconsistent, often I've forgot-


ten times when I've been loved; just soaked it in

as though it was fresh air, for me to breathe.

Oh God, as I look back, maybe the sin

I've most committed, and what I now grieve,


is just not seeing love, when it's been there,

and I've been in it, like a fish at sea.

But also, there've been times I've shown the care 

of you my Father through me to fam'ly


and friends on Earth; and here, you push me on

to love my enemies, with love from you.

Then celebrate that love with poem & song.

I'm letting your good crop grow in me to


both multiply, and influence quite deep

this shallow soil. Your anger doesn't boil,

but softly whispers to me as I sleep

and wake, in hesed love. You are my foil°!





heséd is the Hebrew word for loyal love, or keeping one's word, or covenant commitment, undergirding its friends and associates like justice, tender mercies, and compassion.


°  foil: two (of 4) meanings outlined by the Cambridge Dictionary that are fulfilled by God in my life are:

e.g. foil for The older, cynical character in the play is the perfect foil for the innocent William.

e.g.The prisoners' attempt to escape was foiled at the last minute when police received a tip-off.

[In this case I understand "successful" to mean to succeed in my instinctive, first level of response, in order to gain and "work out" this partnership's response. I am thinking of the way the two hemispheres of the human brain affect each other with inhibitory impulses, designed, I suppose to give time for a responsecto be hammered out from the full partnership utilizing the benefits that come along with the frustrations involved in a communal, combined view.]


Background Notes

  • We are brought down to the dust; our bodies cling to the ground. Rise up and help us; rescue us because of your unfailing love. (Psalms 44:25‭-‬26 NIVUK)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...