2021-08-18

friends a’part … of something bigger




The best friend that I ever had, Grand-dad,

was round before my mum & dad were born, 

& when I came into the world, was glad,

in fact I've rarely seen him quite forlorn.


From small, I just remember that he loved,

and thought of me, and sent me letters too.

He asked me lots of questions. Never shoved.

He wanted me to learn to think; and do!


Together, with some questions to find out,

and sometimes gems from right inside his heart,

that I could well recall (when not a lout),

to see just when to stop, and how to start.


He showed me how to live with pain, in this

ol' world where thoughtlessness and greed can be.

He showed me how to cry when people missed

their calling to be great, and "We shall see.."


is what he often said, when difference came.

I never heard him gloat, or tell more tales

of what could go wrong - sometimes he'd complain.

But then he'd catch ‘im-self; he'd say what ails


'im and admit 'his limitations too,

& then he'd get right back to thanking folk,

some people I'd not met, some folk I knew.

He thanked me when I helped, but not in joke,


he'd thoughtfully appraise what I had done,

and help me to grow better - for next time,

and just be glad to have me as "Grandson".

I want for ev'ry second line to rhyme!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...