2013-06-12

Named by a father.


Peter thinks about his Rabbi/Father (Second Adam) [1]...

I am Simon Petros[2],
or just Petros[3].

I was born Simon bar Jonas (i.e. Simon son of Jonas),
but renamed[4] by our new “Rabbi”,
as I thought him to be at the time;
Petros - (i.e. bed-rock-e-fellow).
“Shimon” the Hebrew name that my old dad gave me
means either "He [who] has heard/hears [the word of God]"[5] or
“He [God] has heard”
though in the common Greek of the Empire,
“Simon” simply means “flat-nosed"[6]
I s’pose that means a bit of a thug.

That Hebrew name is not bad to aspire to;
but oh, to be  a “bed-rock-e-fellow”!
I hope that will be true.
As we work out who Yeshua really is,
things are even more hopeful.

God, hear me, -
may his naming true be!  
Oh, I heard you
tell us he was[7] true,
& tell me who I should have heard[8],
& so I do believe his word.
I will be bold to use his name for me,
faithful to his prophecy[9],
and know who he is certainly[10].
Given what you've given me,
what more
could I ever possibly
ask for?





“My proposal, then, is not that we assume that we know what the word ‘god’ means, and manage somehow to fit Jesus into that. Instead, I suggest that we think historically about a young Jew, possessed of a desperately-risky, indeed, apparently crazy, vocation, riding into Jerusalem in tears, denouncing the Temple, ..and dying on a Roman cross, - and that we somehow allow our meaning for the word ‘god’ to be re-centered around that point[1]



[1] The challenge of Jesus N.T. Wright, and also http://ntwrightpage.com/wright_historical_jesus.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation...